Monday, July 14, 2008

Mountain Bike Monday

The magnitude of the issues facing us are unimaginable. I started this blog in the hopes of informing as many folks as possible of the near insurmountable issues that will result from Peak Oil. I see now that that is a lost cause as the biggest hurdle is people. Our Western culture simply will not acknowledge, much less act on, the catastrophe that is Peak Oil. Though I will continue to try and inform, my goal now is simply to chronicle the collapse of industrial man in light of the decline of the one true energy source that has allowed us to build the world we live in today.

I remember a comedian once wondered if we would recognise a homeless man on his first couple of days of homelessness. He wouldn't be dirty yet. Or hungry. His clothes would still be nice. And clean. He might even be clean shaven. Nothing to indicate how destitute he is except, perhaps, for the look in his eyes. I remembered this bit, though not the comedian, because the spectre of homelessness has hung over me off and on for 14 years. Now I equate the world, especially the West, to a man who has just become homeless. It is not apparent to the casual observer. Many people still have a place to live. They can still afford good food, nice clothes, even a big screen TV. And there are still some simple pleasures to be had.

Though the collapse will not be a pretty picture, there is still much to enjoy and be grateful for. In that vein I've decided to "lighten up" for a moment and present the one thing I truly enjoy: Biking. Specifically Mountain Biking, but any biking will do. One block from my apartment is my favorite trail for everyday riding. It is a gorgeous chunk of nature right in the hustle and bustle of the city. Back in May I took my camera on the trail to get some clips of the wonder and nature that is just down the street. At the time I wanted to show others, and myself, why it's so important to address the issue of Peak Oil. And to show off my bike. Anyway, here's the clip I took that includes my bike, and the wonderful trail that makes life worth living right now.



UPDATE: Couldn't get the video to upload. Seems to be an ongoing issue so will try some other time.

No comments: